1. There are 62,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body (end to end they would circle the earth 2.5 times)
2. The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on Earth (>2000 km long)
3. The risk of a person being struck by a falling meteorite is one chance every 9,300 years
4. A thimbleful of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons
5. A typical hurricane produces the energy of 8,000 one megaton bombs
6. Blood sucking hookworms inhabit 700 million people worldwide. Yuck!
7. The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle is 166.94 mph, by Fred Rompelberg
8. We can produce laser light a million times brighter than sunshine
9. 65% of those with autism are left handed
10. The combined length of the roots of a Finnish pine tree is over 30 miles
Want more little know science facts to dazzle and annoy your friends? Go to Listverse for the rest of the list.